In the first installment of a 3-article series on the A to Z of typography, we learn the technical stuff about typefaces, including several terms and facts and then sound smart.
- Sabbath - noun An unknown quantity in San Francisco social life.
- Sacerdotalist - noun One who holds the belief that a clergyman is a priest.
- Sacred - noun Dedicated to some religious purpose; having a divine character; as the Dalai Lama of Tibet; the Moogum of M’bwango; the Cow in India; the hair of the dog that bit Noah, etc.
- Saint - noun A dead sinner, revised and edited.
- Sanity - noun The state of mind that immediately precedes and follows murder. Read more
- Cabbage - noun A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man’s head.
- Calamity - noun A more than commonly plain and unmistakable reminder that the affairs of this life are not of our own ordering. Calamities are of two types: misfortune to ourselves and good fortune to others.
- Capital - noun The seat of misgovernment. That which provides the fire, the pot, the dinner, the table and the knife and fork for the anarchist.
- Censor - noun An officer of certain governments, employed to suppress the works of genius.
- Chemise - noun Don’t know what it means.
- Church - noun A place where the parson worships God and women worship the parson.
- Club - noun An association of men for purposes of drunkenness, gluttony, unholy hilarity, murder, sacrilege and the slandering of mothers, wives and sisters. For this definition I am indebted to several estimable ladies who
~ Pour elle.~
This is the third letter we are coming to this month, the letter K. We have already seen P and M before and have no doubt enjoyed them immensely. Today, we shall see what Bierce has to offer us for the letter K.
- Kangaroo – noun An unconventional kind of animal which in shape is farther than any other from being the square of its base.
- Kill – verb To create a vacancy without nominating a successor.
- Kilt – noun A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.
- Kindness – noun A brief preface to ten volumes of exaction.
- King – noun A male person commonly known in America as a ‘crowned head,’ although he never wears a crown and has usually no head to speak of.
- King’s Evil - noun A malady that was once cured by the touch of the sovereign, but has now to be treated by the physicians.
- Kiss – noun A word invented by the poets as a rhyme for ‘bliss.’ It is supposed to signify, in a general way, some