The latest Indian census shows an alarming decline in the girl child ratio while our population is promptly on the rise. Coupled with this is the fact that the attitude towards daughters all over the nation seems to be changing—for the worse. Illegal practices by bribe-happy doctors are adding to this misfortune. Yet there appears to be a ray of hope for the optimist, in the country’s ‘sample surveys.’ But how hopeful can we really be? We have all this and more to ponder over as India inches towards China’s dramatically low gender ratio with sufficient scope to take over as the world’s most populous nation.
Similar articles we recommend you read:
- I’m too pretty to do math?
- Unauthorised Indian Adaptation
- On the honourable Indian road laws
- IQ comes with strings attached
- John Forbes Nash (in the film A Beautiful Mind, played (exceptionally) by Russel Crowe.) The scene is in a pub near Princeton, where a bunch of women enter, the alpha-female being a blonde. The dialogue hints at Nash’s game theory for which he went on to win the Nobel Prize.